Friday, June 29, 2007

Musee Jacquemart Andre

This will be a quick entry, because I am not a huge fan of 17th and 18th century art. Really, i don't know enough about this category of art to appreciate it. I was acutely made aware of this when I couldn't distinguish one well know masterpiece from other, less know art that surrounded it. The only paintings that stood out where Rembrandts, but I don't know if this is because of his artistic ingenuity or because I am somewhat familiar with his style (Rembrandt is one of the few 17th century artists I have ever heard of). The collection of art housed in this haughty mansion on Boulevard Haussman was formerly the private collection of Edouard Andre and his wife, Ms. Jacquemart. After their deaths, the collection was donated to the city. I found the building's architecture to be much more interesting than the art! Chris, Mom, and Nami, given your experiences in Italy, you would probably have found this museum more interesting than I did.

No comments: